Sunday, February 10, 2013

Special Blog Post #1



china


Compare Populations of India, China and the United States. What do you find? 
The United States is third in population while India is second and China is third. China has 1.34 billion residents while India has 1.19 and the U.S 311.1 million.
I then searched What is the estimated growth of population in the U.S where I found that in 2008 there was an estimated .969% growth. I also found that in the last few years the U.S population growth has rapidly declined. My second search was How smart are Chinese compared to Americans? This may be a silly question but I was just curious to know what would pop up. I found that China has 233.3 students while America only has 67.62, thats more than triple the amount of students in comparison. In 1999, the public education spending of China was an estimated 1.907% while America had a 5.404% in spending. This means America is putting more money into education that China, even though China has more than triple the population. Why is this you may ask? We must take into account that China is a much different culture. America has the "No Child Left Behind Act" while China has no such thing.

WolframAlpha


This search engine quite frankly surprised me. All the interesting information available on such an easy search engine. They even send you interesting side questions, opening your mind to different questions. I'm interested to play with different questions to see what I can find. In the future, I will use it in my classrooms with my students. 

Technology, I'm assuming, will surround us in the years to come. It's important for our rising learners to learn how to use different search engines. If used the right way, more information can be found and imbedded in their brains. Even the smallest facts are good to know. The more you know about your surroundings and your world, the better off you'll be.

"The Count"


I probably stared at "The Count" for an hour, amazed at the pace things are going. I may be a slow, take it easy kind of person but it's amazing the way technology is taking over. The internet has been around only a bit over 10 years and it already cosumes most businesses, people, ext. Technology can be both good and bad; we need it, yet we don't need it. I believe most people these days forget the world is in front of them, outside their window, instead of inside a screen or computer. However, we can use technology to help guide us through our day-to-day tasks, make errands easier and faster, anything really. Technology can even open our minds to places and things we had no idea existed. 


I hope our future brings good, positive uses out of the rising technology that surrounds us. Technology should be used for learning, helping, communicating, and other great things. Lately, our health issues have worried me. Technology, I know, is one reason for that. I know; however, people around the world are realizing the use of technology is to be used for knowledge and easy access, not an excuse for laziness.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I read your post. I thought I had already commented but apparently not. One really does have to pay attention to all the relevant data to get the real picture. Depending upon how it is presented it can be skewed to be in the favor of the presenter.
    The Wolframalpha was fun for me too. I tried all sorts of things including comparing apples to oranges. I also liked the suggestions for other searches.
    I was also floored by the rate at which technology is growing. I mean, I new it was growing and doing so rapidly but, to watch it in real time it was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete