Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blog Post #6


Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student

The 21st century student has a lot more going on than I ever thought possible when I was in high school. All the new possibilities and access points we have using the internet brings another world into the classroom. It also allows the student to have the classroom right in front of them at all times. Using technology and search engines to navigate through the internet allows the 21st century student to access people's thoughts and ideas freely. 
Back when I was in high school I hardly knew how to use my Ipod, now students are being taught to do everything through the internet. It's surprising to see what good can come out of this. Using new technology allows our students to communicate with scholars and educators and people all around the world they never knew existed. Being able to access these people and their knowledge is great; we can all learn from one another. 
So, why do we need teachers? Teachers guide us, whenever we as students need help with our assignments (assignments our TEACHERS have given us) we go to our educators. We look up to them for an answer. Without our educators, or learners have no one to follow, no one to look out for them and make sure what they are reading and soaking in is the right information to remember. Our educators already know what is factual and what isn't, usually. Without someone to help lead us in the right direction, how do we as students know we're going in the wrong direction?

teacherandstudent

7th Grader's PLE (PLN)

Wendy's7th grade studentsget to learn in a way I never had a chance to and that makes me feel super excited for her students! I wish I had the freedom to create and search using the web in my classes, maybe I would have liked school a little more. Obviously, Wendy's students have grown up using new technologies, so it's not a learning process for them. They already know how to use and search through the internet, easily. However, this is a learning process for me. Yes, I use social networks and I'm not totally technologically illiterate but I have never used anything like podcasting and blogging before. I'm not a composer of any sorts, either. Maybe Wendy's 7th graders could teach me a thing or two.

2 comments:

  1. "Our educators already know what is factual and what isn't, usually." Maybe sometimes would be better than usually!

    Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha!

    I only found one grammatical error in your post. Third paragraph "or learners" should be "our learners," I think. It was a really well written post. And I think Wendy's 7th graders could teach me a thing or two as well. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks-Jamie Barbour

    ReplyDelete