Monday, February 18, 2013

Blog Post #5

If I Build A School

Krissy Venosdale is a creative genius! I would absolutely love to climb in her mind and live in that treehouse she has envisioned. While reading her more than interesting idea of her own school, my thoughts began to swirl with imaginative ideas. I am; however, less creative and more playful. I think I would keep her library idea, how could you not? My classrooms would be outside. Well, maybe not outside, perhaps my classrooms would be made with class walls. The cafeteria would be one huge table, all the children and teachers would sit together. Collaborating ideas and activities would be key. Teachers would change rooms, not students. I believe the environment in which a student learns can be a huge part of their success.


I have also been hearing that play-time is being taken away from some schools. This, to me, is insane. A child needs to get out and stretch, play, and just have time to be a kid. My school would have a huge collaboration of jungle gyms coming to and from the playground surrounding the school. Every activity a teacher gave to their student would involve fun and group work. Children should work together, by working together we can learn together. Learning together is the best way for a student to get a grasp on the idea of the working world they will one day be in.

My school would be plain and boring on the outside, the windows and glass walls would be tinted so no one could see inside. Walking through the front doors, you'd see bright colors covering the hallways. Children's painting and drawings would cover the walls. My ideas may be insane, and of course this will probably never be an actual school. However, image what a different atmosphere like this would bring. More fun in education, enthusiasm, maybe even more success?

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

The idea to take 18 people's videos singing the same song and making it into a wonderful chorus is amazing. Everyone was matched up so perfectly and their style of singing, sopranos, altos, ect. was quite impressive. I couldn't imagine taking the time to make this video myself. Mr. Whitacre is an incredible composer that did a great job. The internet has so many amazing possibilities, Eric's video was only one example of everything you can do.

NPR interview with Eric Whitacre

Eric had some incredible ideas and I was really inspired. To hear about a woman who couldn't get our much because of her living situation who escaped using virtual choirs is just astounding. What a great way to give people such a fun way to get out of reality. 

Teaching in the 21st Century

My eyes have been opened! This video really can make someone think, especially up and coming teachers. Technology really is taking over in this day and age. Children honestly have every way possible to research just about anything. Roberts is right saying it is no longer about entertaining in the classroom, but engaging the student. I support that because getting a child engaged and attentive in a subject and including in the classroom is the best way of learning and entertaining. By engaging the student, you have their full attention and that usually means they are willing to learn everything you're trying to teach them. Sure, they could easily learn the information on their own using the Internet, but like the video also says, teachers are merely filters. We as teachers are able to feed the children the information in the best way because we already understand the information. The video was so incredible, I wish I could download it into my blog. The world should see this video, maybe our next assignment we will learn how. 

Fizz Flipping the Classroom
Teachers


I love this idea! Watching videos of a classroom lesson plan the night before while you're at home is a wonderful new technology. If a teacher posts what is going to happen and basically teaches the lesson ahead of time the children will be fully prepared for what is to come. If a student is struggling in class, it gives them a chance to catch up or review. Parents could also help children at home because the parents would actually be able to see exactly what their child is learning. When I was in school I was always having trouble with certain things that my parents just couldn't help with because they didn't know what I was doing in the classroom. "Flipping the classroom" could help the parents refresh their minds and get involved with their child's schoolwork. This is one of the most innovative and useful sources we have seen so far! For sure!





2 comments:

  1. "...our much" out much

    "My eyes have been opened!" Good. Keep them open!

    "I wish I could download it into my blog. The world should see this video, maybe our next assignment we will learn how."

    Including a link to the video on your blog is easy. Go to the video. Copy the URL. In your post type what you want to be your button, e.g. Teaching in the 21st Century. Select that text. Click on the Link button (make sure you have selected the HTML tab). Paste the url. That's it.

    I will have to explore the code to embed it. I'll send you an email.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is Rachel White in EDM 310. I'm not assigned to you, but I'm commenting on yours instead. :)
    I agreed with the giant tree in the library, too! And I love your idea of making the rooms have glass walls. I know being outside is always inspiring for me. The only thing I didn't understand, though, is where you said that the teachers would switch rooms. In *my opinion,* it makes more sense for the students to switch rooms because then they are not stuck with the same people all day. They can interact with many different people.
    I also really like the "flipped classroom" too. I think it's a great idea to allow the kids to spend as much or as little time as they need to learn the material. I have personal experience with this type of learning and it has definitely helped me, so I know it could help other students, too. I think it could also help because parents always say, "Well, I never learned that in school..." or "It's been so long that I don't remember how to do that." So they could watch the videos with their child and refresh their memory enough to help.

    ReplyDelete